Friday, February 7, 2014

A Surprising Fix for My Balance Problems

I have NOT fallen again, but my balance problems were getting worse. I wasn't sure what to do about it, but decided to join a group exercise class called SilverSneakers® at a local gym. I went to these classes because I was bored. I figured I'd meet some nice people and maybe even lose a pound or two. I never expected for my balance to improve. 

The first class was interesting, to say the least. I was in the back row, right next to an 89-year old who did the entire class seated. It only took a few minutes to realize I have two left feet. What happened to the disco dancer and gymnast of my youth? I kept tripping over my own feet! When the instructor added arm movements to the footwork, I found I could NOT do both. I found myself holding on to the chair for balance and I sat down frequently.

Towards the end of class, we did some simple balancing exercises and I failed miserably. Here's video of me trying to balance after that first class.


I noticed, the more classes I went to, the more my balance improved. After a few weeks, I began to really notice a difference. Here's me again, after 15 classes.



That's quite a difference, right? 

I've made some new friends, educated the whole class about Parkinson's and am standing up straighter. As for the pounds, unfortunately, they are still there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment